Early Childhood Strategic Focus
The Rotary Club of Wilmington has committed to a three-year strategic focus to help improve early education in Delaware.
Vision: Every Delaware child should have a high-quality early education experience.
Strategic Focus: Services for young children 0-5 and their families in the City of Wilmington and State of Delaware.
- 90% of the brain is formed by age 5
- There are 50,000 children in Delaware under age 5
- The state invests a fraction (less than 1/4) per child in this age group as compared to K-12 students
- About half of children entering Kindergarten in Delaware do not have the skills needed to succeed
- And, only about half of children in Delaware have a preschool experience before Kindergarten
We partner with Wilmington-based nonprofit early learning centers to learn about their needs and the needs of the families they serve—and to contribute in our community. Additionally, we are a member of the First State Pre-K Coalition which advocates for universal Pre-K for all 3 and 4 year olds.